Most pregnant women do not need to supplement their diet. You can include some special foods and follow some guidelines to assimilate it better.
It is very common for all pregnant women to be recommended to take iron supplements, but the reality is that with a diet rich in iron and vitamin C, and lowering the pace of daily life, an extra dose is not necessary of this mineral.Practicing yoga can be a good way to spend time a day to leave stress behind and reconnect with the importance of taking care of your body and your baby.But what foods are essential to maintain a good supply of iron with the diet?
IRON, BASIC IN PREGNANCY
The body absorbs better the iron of animal origin than the one that comes from the vegetable world, it seems. But as we also know the high rate of toxins generated by food of animal origin in our body, we will try to ensure that the supply of iron is basically through foods from the plant world.
Fruits and dried fruits
(pistachios, sunflower seeds, figs, plums, dried apricots, walnuts, cashew nuts, dates …), vegetables (endives, beet, Swiss chard, spinach, escarole …), legumes (lentils, chickpeas, beans) , peas …), cereals (quinoa, oats, brown rice …), and other foods such as algae, wheat germ or brewer’s yeast, should be the basis of the diet of pregnant women.
Increasing the intake of vitamin C
through citrus fruits and raw vegetables improves the absorption of iron of vegetable origin, so taking raw foods in each meal favors that the iron that is provided at that time is better used.
HOW TO BETTER ASSIMILATE IRON
In addition, what you can do to improve the assimilation of the iron you eat with your diet, is to modify some food habit. You must bear in mind that as important as the food you eat is how you do it. That’s why you can keep in mind that:
- Eating relaxed, in a quiet environment and in good company, helps the body assimilate the iron that is being ingested at that precise moment.
- The thoughts you have while you are eating, the messages you receive, the images you see … also have a direct influence on the absorption of nutrients that are taken with the food you eat.
- Under these circumstances, the body can secrete specific chemical substances, which will make the digestive enzymes are able to take better advantage of what is ingested.
- What is done and how it is done, while the digestive system is carrying out the decomposition of the food that has been eaten, also influences the assimilation of the nutrients. Listening to music of relaxation and smiling when we wash the dishes, or go for a walk to the park or the forest, breathing fresh air, are examples of habits that help in this process.
- Rest with your hands resting on your belly, sending health and love to the child that is growing inside. All this will nourish a lot, both the baby and the woman, in such an intense and special stage of his life.